Saturday, 22 June 2013

Religion

I am a Humanist. I prefer to believe in a common moral code, use my own judgement to make a decision, and firmly believe that there is no magical 'afterlife' waiting for us. However, when backed into a corner and asked what religion I have I tend to say I'm Atheist. Its just easier and doesn't lead to a long string of questions as its a more commonly known term.

Atheism has, I feel, a certain amount of stigma attached to it. If you announce yourself as an Atheist you tend to be seen as a religion hating, Darwin loving person with no sense of self. I don't like having this stigma attached to me because I am not a religion hater and I have a great sense of self thank you very much (but I do love a bit of Darwin). Though when it comes to defining my beliefs and there is no time to get into a deep conversation about Humanist views, Atheism is what I say.

I'm rambling on (again) because the local radio station was playing whist I was sitting in a doctors waiting room. I walked in just as the presenter announced that we were now going to hear from 'Dave the Humanist' and, naturally, my ears pricked up. The following 10 minutes was the presenter, a Christian man, criticizing  Dave for his beliefs (or lack there of).

This got me thinking. If Muslim was to turn to a Christian on radio and be openly critical to the point of being rude about the Christian's beliefs, there would be a lot of problems. The same is a Christian turned to a Jew and told them that they can't possibly live their life that way, live on air. Or if a Atheist told a Hindu that what they believed in was ridiculously wrong ... there would be uproar.

So why then is it OK for a person of any religion to turn to an Atheist or a Humanist and tell them that they can't possibly live a moral life without guidance from a religion and that believing there is no greater meaning to life is a joke? Why are they allowed to turn to me and ridicule my way of life with no retribution but if I do the same to them I'm being offensive?

Why do preachers feel they have the right to stand in the street and announce that you will go to hell unless you let the love of God into your hearts, when I'd get into a lot of trouble if I stood there with a loudhailer and announce that there is no God and they're all delusional? Which is something I would never do because I have a healthy respect for your right to believe in what you want to, its just not for me.

According to the radio presenter, Dave the Humanist couldn't possibly have a moral compose without God to guide him, and no possible reason to not murder and steal without the retribution he would face in the afterlife. How on earth could Dave live life knowing that this was all the time he had on Earth, with nothing to look forward to after death?

I don't think its right to publicly ridicule any ones personal beliefs, no matter what their religion or otherwise. I will confess that I do LOVE to play devils advocate with Lucy when we talk about religion because I like to understand where she's coming from (I'd class her as a casual Christian, I'm sure she'll let me know what she thinks if she reads this). But I only do this because I know her really well and I know it doesn't offend her.

Personally I think religion was tool set up by those in power as a means on controlling the masses (*gasp* how shocking of me) and in an increasingly non Christian Britain, the amount of power the church still hold in politics is disgusting. But like I've said, that is just my opinion and I'm not going to stop anyone from believing in what makes them happy.

Rant over.

No comments:

Post a Comment