After calling my Dad 8 times I managed to get through to him to give him his 'happy fathers day' call.
To be honest, I'd almost completely forgotten. If it hadn't been for google's odd little fathers day picture I may well have forgotten all together.
I've finished my placement now but being in school on the run up to Fathers Day is always an interesting experience. Some school don't even mention the idea as they are too afraid of causing upset for those who no longer have Dads around of who have Step-dads or whatever other complicated situation may occur. However, these schools will always make cards for Mothers Day.
This makes me feel a little uneasy. I understand that a child is more likely to be living with their Mum than their Dad in the case of a divorce or something along those lines, but I don't like the prejudice.
The school I was in recently had a whole assembly about Fathers Day and the role of Dads but also pointed out that some people may not know their Dads or their Dads might no longer be around. When it came to making the cards, they said they could be a Fathers Day car or a card to someone you love. They also do the same for Mothers Day.
Parents/ carers/ guardians/ care givers, is a delicate subject in schools but I liked the approach I saw at this school and I think I'll take the same approach in the future.
So Happy Fathers Day Dad, I hope its a good one.
No comments:
Post a Comment