From the moment my parents knew I was dating Ben their response was "Don't let it affect your grades". Which, to be honest, is fair enough. But the way they said it, like I can't take responsibility for myself, annoyed me. They knew I had a goal to reach to get to university and that I was passionate about the course I wanted to take so why would I let anything get in the way of that?
"Don't let it affect your grades" was also their main objection to Ben and I moving in together. "Your degree is important", "It will get in the way of your work". To which I told them, again, that I have a passion for what I'm doing, a goal to reach and I'm not going to let it get in the way. Ben knows how important teaching is to me and how hard the assignments are, he's very helpful around deadline time.
Yesterday was the last day of my 2nd year at uni and I got all my results back. Are you ready for this Mum and Dad...?
I got a 2:1
So ... Ha.
I'll let living with Ben get in the way of my grades will I? Because I can't take responsibility for my own future? Ha.
I'm good at what I do. I'm not the best, but I'm good. They seem to struggle with the idea that I can be good at things they have have no input in. But I got a 2:1 without them, all on my own, so I'll say it again ... Ha.
No comments:
Post a Comment