Monday, 15 July 2013

How and When Did This Happen?

How did I become the sole cleaner of our flat? When did I become the only one to do the washing up? Since when was it my responsibility to nag him into helping me take the bin out!?

A once 16 year old feminist me viewed my 20's as a time when I would be out there achieving all my dreams and being with a partner who was my equal in every aspect of life. While the first it true, the latter definitely is not when it comes to house work; and as I stand over the sink, making my way through washing ALL of our kitchenware, I ask myself why?

Why is this the umpteenth dozen time I have had to wash ALL of our kitchenware at once?
Why is it always me who empties the over flowing wash basket into the washing machine?
Why is it my job to tidy the living room which is just as much your mess as mine?
Why?

The answer: "I'm at work all day".

Yes darling, I know you're at work all day. But when I was at uni all week trying to reach my deadlines you didn't do the washing up. When I was at placement from 6am till 6pm you didn't do the laundry. So how come these rules apply to you and not me? Now I'm working long tiring hours, just like you, is it going to change?

When I ask you to do the washing up which has been pilling up for a while now because I was hoping you would do it of your own accord, you looked shocked and ask for help in completing this momentous task. When I calmly point out that I've done all of the washing for the past 3 months at least (if not longer) your reply is "I didn't ask you to, you just did it". Yes. Yes I did 'just do it' because it had got to the point where we had used everything we have in our cupboards and had no more plates to eat from or forks to eat with.

So after leaving half of it for you to do and pigs quickly growing wings, I found myself stood over the sink, fingers all wrinkled from the water, my go-to 'I'm pissed off' music blaring in my ears and soap bubbles everywhere whilst you play League of Legends. Again.

**I am well aware, by the way, that I am about 2 days off my period and that this is most probably the reason that I am feeling so tightly wound, but I just needed to vent.

No comments:

Post a Comment