Monday, 8 July 2013

A Successful Evening with the Family

I had a fantastic time yesterday with my family. We had a gorgeous picnic together before Dad had to go and get ready for the performance. Everyone was getting on fine, the sun was shining, the conversation was flowing, Dad was being considerate to Mum who wasn't feeling too great and Stevie and I were joking around about his new girlfriend. It was just lovely to spend time as a family, without the tension of a looming argument.

To add to the evening, Andy Murray won the Wimbledon finals and a round of applause rippled through the grounds of Gawsworth Hall as the news spread. I have to say, Stevie and I brought the average age of the audience down quite a bit.... but we had a great time matching the plump Cheshire men to the overly priced cars in the car park.

I am getting slightly worried about Mum though. She seems to be getting a bit forgetful about the little things. I don't know if its because of the stress at work or me over thinking it, but I did have to remind her that the performance started at 6:30 several times in a short space of time. Mum's Mum got dementia, and diminished very quickly, which was hidden very well by Granddad until he sadly passed away. I guess I just have this nagging feeling in the back of my head that Mum will got he same way as she reminds me more and more of my Gran. Saying that, Mum is only 50 and is about 10 - 15 years short of the average age that dementia shows its symptoms.

I enjoy watching Dad perform. I get a strange sense of pride and role reversal when I do. Like I'm sure I've said before, Dad and I connect through music, so to watch him in his element is a pleasure and a privilege. We make eye contact whenever possible during the performances and I let him know how its going with a quick nod, smile, or something to the same effect. After the performance we waited for him to get changed out of his (embarrassing) costume and met him by the car, where he told me that it meant a lot to him that I was there and its not the same when I'm not in the audience. For all his faults, Dad will always let me know I'm important to him at times like this and that means an awful lot to me.

I drove back up to the flat that night with a smile on my face and the warmth in my heart only home and family can give you. The next time I see them will be when we're off to Ireland on holiday in a few weeks time, and after last night, I'm feeling much better about it than I was before.

No comments:

Post a Comment