I've recently tried to take up jogging as a way of keeping fit (or getting fit) and loosing some weight. However, I see to have hit a brick wall. No matter how slow I take it, or how well I war up, I can't get half a mile before being unable to breath.
It's not your usual of lack of breath experienced when you exercise, like I first expected it was. It is a tight, intense feeling in my throat and chest; and no matter how much I gasp for air I can't catch my breath. I stuck with it for a week or two and tried jogging until I felt out of breath and then walking it off and then jogging again, but I never got my breathing back to normal after it set in. Even after I'd got home, showed, dressed, had a drink and sat down for a bit, I was still breathing hard.
I used to have quite bad asthma as a kid. I had to take my preventative inhaler twice a day and had a separate one for when I had an attack. My attacks, from what I can remember, were always induced by either my cat or dust allergy. Both of which were quite bad and meant that Mum had to work quite hard to keep my room as dust free as possible so I didn't have an attack in the night. But I soon grew out of this and my cat allergy is now like an intense hay feverish reaction rather than a difficulty in breathing.
I never really had a problem with Asthma through high school. I LOVED p.e and was a good long distance runner, managing a mile at an average of 9 minutes without pushing myself. In my first year of university I joined the girls rugby team until training clashed with shifts at work. So I have no idea where this Asthma on exertion thing has come from. Maybe its because I've slacked off a LOT over the past 18 months when it comes to exercising and I've gained some extra weight? Whatever it is, its annoying me.
I'm going to give up jogging for the time being and I'm going to take up swimming instead. The local pool is only charging £1 on entry over the summer period so I may as well make the most of it. If this asthma persists I think I'm going to have to take a trip to the doctors and see what advice they can give, but this will inevitably mean forking out for an inhaler. Yay, more things to spend money on!
No comments:
Post a Comment