Thursday, 30 May 2013

Superbowl

It's been one of those lazy, lazy days. We didn't get out of bed until 1pm and I've done nothing but sit in my dressing gown and read my book aaalllll day. It feels good. But it got to around 8 and my boyfriend decided he wanted to go out and do something. The longer days of summer make the days drag on a bit if you don't have anything to be doing. We had a think and he decided we should go to the local bowling ally that we hadn't been to yet ... fine by me!

We got there, set up a lane and I went to order a nice big healthy 'bucket' of cheesy fries (chips. Fries sounds so wrong coming from quite middle class British accent). We'd finished our game before the bucket even got to us so we sat opposite each other at the little tables in the corner and dug in. (Don't worry I'm getting to the point).

My boyfriend looked up at me laughed,
"Superbowl and cheesy fries, so romantic"
I laughed back at him, "you sure know how to treat a girl"
"Your so lucky" he joked

I just looked at him as he continued to eat and thought, ye, I really am lucky. I have never been the kind of girl who expects the guy to take me out to fancy restaurants or buy me jewelry 'just because'. Neither do I expect him to open doors for me and pay for everything, we split everything 50/50. I don't need him to do material things to prove he loves me.

Although I am a feminist, as anyone who knows me would confirm, I don't think my political views have anything to do with this. I love him for who he is, not what he buys me or where he takes me to. I'm a firm believer that it's who you're with that makes the time special, not the activity you're doing.  I will never understand girls who claim they can only date a man with money, its just shallow. Don't get me wrong, a card  or a present wouldn't be turned away but I'd much prefer a hug or a surprise kiss.

So as we sat there eating food we didn't need I was reminded of how much I love him and love being around him. We had a really good time and a lot of fun. I'm lucky to be with someone who I can be around 24/7 without getting annoyed at each other. I'm lucky to be with someone who I can make me laugh no matter what. I'm lucky to be with someone who I can have a great time with, weather its a night in on the sofa or a walk down the beach.

I guess I'm just feeling pretty lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment